The Sausage MLP Forums

The biggest, friendliest brony community on PunBB-Hosting!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Unfortunately, the forums are officially closed to new registrations. We have no idea if there are any plans to change this, as it's been inactive for well over a year anyhow.

Adverts

Adverts

• Index
  •  » Library
  •  » The Super Duper Uper List of Storywriting Challenges

#1 September 12, 2012 11:12:36 PM

Sausagefanclub
Retired Supreme Ruler
Bits: 11,000,025
Bank: 6,726,507,490,197
Website

The Super Duper Uper List of Storywriting Challenges

This is my list of storywriting challenges. Here, I will be adding challenges for stories I would like to see, and stories that only professionals can write.
If you are the first one to complete a certain challenge, then you will have the honor of... well, being the first to complete that challenge. Your username will be immortalized at the top of that challenge's list. You may also get rewards in the form of bits, reputation or even Alicorn status (that is, if you're not already at that rank or higher). Other types of rewards may be won too.
The most important tip to completing a challenge is to have good spelling and grammar. You can't have your story going like this:

ONC UPON A TIM THEIR WAS A PONI THAT PONIS NAME WAS TWILIT SPARKL THEN 1 DAY NITMAR MOON SED MUHAHA I WILL TAK OVIR ALL OF ECUESTRIA NO U WONT TWILIT SPARKL SED THEN SHE SHOT A LAZR OUT OF HER HORN AND IT HIT NITMAR MOON NOOOOOOOOOOO SHE CRID AS SHE WAS BLOWN INTO OBLIVION UBLIVEIN THEN TWILIT SPARKL AND PINKI PI THREW A PRTY THE END

Also, each story can only complete one challenge. So, say there's a story that's over a million words long and features Steven Magnet as the main character. There's a challenge for a 1000000-word story and a challenge for a story featuring Steven Magnet. You can only pick one or the other. Personally, I (as well as any other sane person) would definitely choose to complete the million-word challenge. It's harder to write, but is much more rewarding. Then I can write another story about Steven Magnet later.
Additionally, every time a challenge is completed, the challenge will be closed for a varying period of time. Sometimes I may decide not to close it at all though. Anyway, I may or may not reopen the challenge again after a certain time. It depends on whether I feel like seeing another one of that type of story. Rarely, I might close the challenge permanently, where it can never be done for a reward again.
I can change the rewards for a challenge too. The rewards will likely decrease in value each time the challenge is won. So, try to be first!

Remember, your story must be MLP-related, and it should have good spelling and grammar if you want to win a challenge. Stories with vulgar language cannot win any challenges, regardless of how well-written they are.

And now, on to the challenges!

The Worst Story Ever
OPEN
Write the worst story you possibly can in 2,000 or more words. Spell as many words wrong as you can, and type with terrible grammar. Sometimes poorly-written stories are so bad that they're funny. The only rule is that I have to be able to read it and understand what is going on. You can't just type ebruhlacwnlaafiefghaIsLuFaHsuilfhwynopCeriofjeofjerio;gjea;ogjeilfjer and get it over with.

Conditions:
- 2,000+ words
- Poorly-written

Reward:
500 495 bits

Winners:
MLP: Attack of the Mole People by CurtainFire and LogicalFallacy

Steven Magnet's Story
OPEN
A story about the mustachioed sea serpent some people may know as Steven Magnet. His name was never mentioned in the show, but that's what people call him. Steven Magnet is from the second half of the pilot episode when Rarity cut off half of her own tail to replace the missing part of his mustache. You simply need to write a story featuring him as the main character.

Conditions:
- 4,800+ words
- Well-written
- Steven Magnet needs to be the main character

Reward:
950 bits

Winners:
None

A Villain's Tale
Idea by CountBleck479
OPEN

A story that focuses entirely on the life of a villain. The catch is, the villain can't be Discord or an OC. Discord is no longer evil as of Season 3, and OCs are too easy to do since you could just make up a backstory with no limits.

Conditions:
- 5,000+ words
- Well-written
- Must focus on a villain
- No Discord, no OCs

Reward:
1000 bits

Winners:
None

Cross-species Romance
OPEN
Basically a love story between two characters belonging to a different species. They're kinda tough to do, so it's an interesting challenge. The catch is that you can't do SpikexRarity. I'm not against it, but it's just too easy for people to do and it's already been done plenty of times already, since Spike has a crush on Rarity in the actual show.

Conditions:
- 5,000+ words
- Well-written
- Romantic
- Can't be SpikexRarity

Reward:
1,500 bits
+1 Reputation (Only available for the first three winners!)

Winners:
None

The Wild West
Idea by CountBleck479
OPEN

Basically just a story that takes place in a Western type of area (desert or badlands). No characters from other media and no characters from the Apple family. Sorry, no Applejack! She's too easy to put in a western area. :trollestia:

Conditions:
- 10,000+ words
- Well-written
- No characters from the Apple family or other media

Reward:
4500 bits

Winners:
None

The Story
OPEN
A story that's at least 6,000 words long and doesn't use the word "The" the entire time. This is actually very hard, since "The" is the most commonly used word in the english language. I've used that word 6 times in this description already! Also, when writing this story, try to write it neatly enough so that it's as if you never had to use that word to make it sound good.

Conditions:
- 6,000+ words
- Well-written
- You can't use "The" in your story

Rewards:
5,000 bits
+2 Reputation
Title "The [Your Username]" (Only available for the first winner!)

Winners:
None

The Million Word Story
OPEN
It simply needs to be a story that is well-written and is 1,000,000 words long. There's no pressure. It's only, like, the toughest challenge here. It can be any genre, as long as you follow the conditions. Characters from other media (Other TV shows, video games, etc.) aren't allowed. The story should focus on a situation in Equestria, not the arrival of Mario, Sonic, Batman or Spongebob Squarepants. Humans (Real or fake) and other creatures from the real world are allowed, though.

Conditions:
- 1,000,000+ words
- Well-written
- No characters from other media

Rewards:
100,000 bits
+5 Reputation
Title "Ultimate Storywriter"

Winners:
None

More challenges will be added when I feel like it.

"Now wipe your eyes, blow your nose, and smile before we take off." - Paula Polestar, from EarthBound

September 12, 2012 11:12:36 PM

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 September 13, 2012 7:19:57 PM

Axel
Retired Royal Guard
Bits: 66,571,993,454
Bank: 333,260,465,059
Website

Re: The Super Duper Uper List of Storywriting Challenges

Oh my glob.

BEST IDEA EVER!

THANKYOUTHANKYOU! :D

I shall get started now!

UPDATE NO. 1: Up to 550 words. Less than 1% there.

Last edited by Rehydration (September 14, 2012 7:35:27 PM)

"A regular Friday audience, 90 percent feminine and 100 percent well-bred, sat stoically yesterday through thirty minutes of the most cacophonous world premiere ever heard here - the first performance anywhere of a new Violin Concerto by Arnold Schoenberg. Yesterday's piece combines the best sound effects of a hen yard at feeding time, a brisk morning in Chinatown and practice hour at a busy music conservatory. The effect on the vast majority of hearers is that of a lecture on the fourth dimension delivered in Chinese." -An anonymous Philadelphia Record reviewer, on Schoenberg's Op. 36 Violin Concerto.

"I am delighted to add another unplayable work to the repertoire." -Arnold Schoenberg, on his Op. 36 Violin Concerto.

#3 September 16, 2012 7:00:17 AM

SonikuBrony
Unicorn
Bits: 407
Bank: 0

OMG I will enter!!! :rainbowdash:

http://i.imgur.com/EJkTi.png Rarity , wet hair makes you sexy.

#4 September 21, 2012 10:53:08 PM

Sausagefanclub
Retired Supreme Ruler
Website

Rehydration wrote:

What do you mean?

"Now wipe your eyes, blow your nose, and smile before we take off." - Paula Polestar, from EarthBound

#5 September 21, 2012 11:02:46 PM

Mokat
Retired Royal Guard
Bits: 1,000,054
Bank: 934,779,048

I want to do the Worst Story Ever XD

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr02/2013/8/2/1/anigif_enhanced-buzz-17490-1375420413-34.gif

#6 September 22, 2012 12:55:33 PM

Axel
Retired Royal Guard
Website

Sausagefanclub wrote:

Rehydration wrote:

What do you mean?

Whoops.
I mean I'm less than 1% done with my Million Word Entry.

"A regular Friday audience, 90 percent feminine and 100 percent well-bred, sat stoically yesterday through thirty minutes of the most cacophonous world premiere ever heard here - the first performance anywhere of a new Violin Concerto by Arnold Schoenberg. Yesterday's piece combines the best sound effects of a hen yard at feeding time, a brisk morning in Chinatown and practice hour at a busy music conservatory. The effect on the vast majority of hearers is that of a lecture on the fourth dimension delivered in Chinese." -An anonymous Philadelphia Record reviewer, on Schoenberg's Op. 36 Violin Concerto.

"I am delighted to add another unplayable work to the repertoire." -Arnold Schoenberg, on his Op. 36 Violin Concerto.

#7 September 22, 2012 3:52:22 PM

Sausagefanclub
Retired Supreme Ruler
Website

Rehydration wrote:

Sausagefanclub wrote:

Rehydration wrote:

What do you mean?

Whoops.

Good luck! It'll be an awesome story to read if you get enough time to finish the whole thing. ;)
The big drawback about this challenge is that I'll have to read the entire story before I can reward you. :huh:

#8 September 22, 2012 9:42:28 PM

Axel
Retired Royal Guard
Website

Sausagefanclub wrote:

Rehydration wrote:

Sausagefanclub wrote:

What do you mean?

Whoops.

Good luck! It'll be an awesome story to read if you get enough time to finish the whole thing. ;)
The big drawback about this challenge is that I'll have to read the entire story before I can reward you. :huh:

Oh boy.

So far I haven't had time to work on it, mostly because of family occasions, a celebration dinner (which lasted five whole HOURS), getting lost, and yard work.

#9 September 23, 2012 12:12:01 AM

Sausagefanclub
Retired Supreme Ruler
Website

Rehydration wrote:

Sausagefanclub wrote:

Rehydration wrote:

Whoops.

Oh boy.

So far I haven't had time to work on it, mostly because of family occasions, a celebration dinner (which lasted five whole HOURS), getting lost, and yard work.

Well, it's 1,000,000 words so we can both expect that it will take a very long time for you to finish the whole thing.

#10 September 23, 2012 1:42:31 PM

Mokat
Retired Royal Guard
Bits: 1,000,054
Bank: 934,779,048

The Worst Story Ever wouldn't take very long because i wouldn't have to obsess over grammar and spelling. :razz:

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr02/2013/8/2/1/anigif_enhanced-buzz-17490-1375420413-34.gif

#11 September 23, 2012 5:33:40 PM

Luna
Better Than Celestia
Bits: 1,000,001
Bank: 3,372,462,827

Good luck people... I WILL be making an entry once I buy my own laptop. 1,000,000 words? No problem >:3

#12 September 28, 2012 10:45:41 AM

SonikuBrony
Unicorn

Worst Story ever here we come! :rainbowdash:

#13 September 29, 2012 7:51:04 AM

jukyter
Earth Pony
Bits: 2
Bank: 21,815,676,767

Inter species romance sounds fun
But I might do Steven Magnet instead

are we smoke without the fire

#14 September 29, 2012 7:52:46 AM

SonikuBrony
Unicorn

jukyter wrote:

Inter species romance sounds fun
But I might do Steven Magnet instead

You're online! :rainbowdash:

#15 September 29, 2012 3:11:38 PM

jukyter
Earth Pony

Wow that makes me sound like a celebrity

#16 September 29, 2012 3:13:45 PM

Sausagefanclub
Retired Supreme Ruler
Website

jukyter wrote:

Wow that makes me sound like a celebrity

Well, you haven't been on lately, and you're a valued member. :eeyup:
Naturally, people started missing you. :)

#17 September 29, 2012 3:16:16 PM

jukyter
Earth Pony

Stop feeding my ego, you :oops:

#18 September 29, 2012 3:19:38 PM

Sausagefanclub
Retired Supreme Ruler
Website

jukyter wrote:

Stop feeding my ego, you :oops:

Well, I'm a condescending person.
Everypony here is awesome... until they insult Derpy Hooves or troll/hack the forum.

#19 September 29, 2012 3:25:28 PM

jukyter
Earth Pony

con·de·scend·ing/ˌkändəˈsendiNG/
Adjective:   
Acting in a way that betrays a feeling of patronizing superiority.
(of an action) Demonstrating such an attitude.

#20 September 29, 2012 9:01:06 PM

Sausagefanclub
Retired Supreme Ruler
Website

jukyter wrote:

Adjective:   

Is that good? I don't know whether patronizing or condescending is the way to describe my behavior. Maybe it's neither.
If so, I mean I like to act humble.

#21 September 29, 2012 9:02:38 PM

Axel
Retired Royal Guard
Website

Eeyup. Condescending appears to mean exactly how you like to act.

#22 September 30, 2012 8:58:26 AM

jukyter
Earth Pony

Sausagefanclub wrote:

jukyter wrote:

Adjective:   

Is that good? I don't know whether patronizing or condescending is the way to describe my behavior. Maybe it's neither.

You'd say patronising as in 'Ugh that teacher's so patronising. She treats us like babies.' and condescending like that as well.
So no; you're not condescending. :P

#23 September 30, 2012 3:30:39 PM

Sausagefanclub
Retired Supreme Ruler
Website

jukyter wrote:

Sausagefanclub wrote:

jukyter wrote:

Adjective:   

You'd say patronising as in 'Ugh that teacher's so patronising. She treats us like babies.' and condescending like that as well.

Ok, then I'll just say I'm humble.

#24 September 30, 2012 6:31:53 PM

Axel
Retired Royal Guard
Website

jukyter wrote:

Sausagefanclub wrote:

jukyter wrote:

Adjective:   

I'm looking at your definition and realizing that you're wrong, jukyter.
See, if condescending means acting in a way that betrays patronizing superiority, then SFC is condescending.
And plus, SFC doesn't treat us like babies. :razz:

#25 September 30, 2012 6:36:13 PM

Sausagefanclub
Retired Supreme Ruler
Website

You guys are confusing me!
Let's just stick with the word "humble", because that's a word that we all know the definition of.

I'm going to add more challenges pretty soon. Challenging challenges.

• Index
  •  » Library
  •  » The Super Duper Uper List of Storywriting Challenges

Adverts

Board footer