The Sausage MLP Forums

The biggest, friendliest brony community on PunBB-Hosting!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Unfortunately, the forums are officially closed to new registrations. We have no idea if there are any plans to change this, as it's been inactive for well over a year anyhow.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 April 19, 2015 3:49:38 PM

SplatKirby
Alicorn
Bits: 4
Bank: 2,427,347,901,995

Favorite Musicals

I know, I know, I turned into one of those nasty singing and dancing types while I was gone...I'm sorry! :cry::razz:

But since I've been involved with my school's production of Bye Bye Birdie (tonight's the last showing, so here's hoping our seniors end on a high note), I've been pretty into musicals. Anyone else?

Definitely in my top 5 (in no order) are:
-Bye Bye Birdie (I mean, it's my first one. But I like musicals that genuinely make people laugh. Looking at you, 'SNARLING RAGING PANTING JUNGLE BEAST!')
-West Side Story (The first musical that ever made me legitimately sad. Think Romeo and Juliet set in 1960s gang wars. And I like musicals with dark overtones.)
-Singin' in the Rain (I KNOW I'M SORRY but this musical is the best musical comedy I've ever seen.)
-Into the Woods (The first act? I wasn't impressed. The second act? OH HOLY HECK SO THIS IS WHAT YOU WERE TRYING TO DO)
-Footloose (Possibly number one. The show is great, and I love seeing shows set in that time period. Which makes me wish I had been a freshman when I was in the sixth grade.)

My browser history and I go way back. B)

April 19, 2015 3:49:38 PM

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 April 25, 2015 4:52:24 PM

LogicalFallacy
Not So Supreme Ruler
Bits: 101
Bank: 610,371,634,227,267

Re: Favorite Musicals

I don't remember too much of west side story, but I do enjoy what I remember. Lots of dancing and gangs. Especially the gangs.
And yeah, Into the Woods has a really cool subversion of "Happily Ever After." I like it when things go the extra mile and explore the implications of what happens in the story.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2hd1es6.png

#3 April 26, 2015 12:51:04 AM

SplatKirby
Alicorn

Yeah, even though they edited a scene or two, Disney knew what they were doing for once.

#4 May 2, 2015 5:20:42 PM

Axel
Retired Royal Guard
Bits: 66,571,993,454
Bank: 333,260,465,059
Website

Hmph. I suppose it's obligatory I answer this.

All-time favorite musical would have to be A Very Potter Musical. It was made by college students, and it's still one of the funniest things I've watched in my life. The songwriting is excellent, the premiere cast was excellent, and the script went from harmless parody to over-the-top hilarious.

I also enjoy anything Splat mentioned, as well as maybe a little bit of Phantom of the Opera. Rent was kinda racy but still fresh and exciting. Disney movies are what I grew up with, so those count too.
(And then there's every season finale of MLP ever.)

"A regular Friday audience, 90 percent feminine and 100 percent well-bred, sat stoically yesterday through thirty minutes of the most cacophonous world premiere ever heard here - the first performance anywhere of a new Violin Concerto by Arnold Schoenberg. Yesterday's piece combines the best sound effects of a hen yard at feeding time, a brisk morning in Chinatown and practice hour at a busy music conservatory. The effect on the vast majority of hearers is that of a lecture on the fourth dimension delivered in Chinese." -An anonymous Philadelphia Record reviewer, on Schoenberg's Op. 36 Violin Concerto.

"I am delighted to add another unplayable work to the repertoire." -Arnold Schoenberg, on his Op. 36 Violin Concerto.

#5 May 21, 2015 11:40:41 PM

SplatKirby
Alicorn

I forgot about Phantom. :P
Hey, I never mentioned Jesus Christ Superstar. It's the Gospel...in a rock opera. What better way to learn theology enjoy yourself?

Adverts

Board footer