The Sausage MLP Forums

The biggest, friendliest brony community on PunBB-Hosting!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Unfortunately, the forums are officially closed to new registrations. We have no idea if there are any plans to change this, as it's been inactive for well over a year anyhow.

Adverts

Adverts

• Index
  •  » Roleplays
  •  » Please be specific when naming an MLP RPG (+ some roleplaying tips)

#1 October 27, 2012 8:56:28 PM

Sausagefanclub
Retired Supreme Ruler
Bits: 11,000,025
Bank: 6,726,507,490,197
Website

Please be specific when naming an MLP RPG (+ some roleplaying tips)

We've had some MLP-themed RPGs with very vague names. This is an MLP-themed forum, so we'll probably have a lot more MLP RPGs in the future. It's a good idea to give your RPG a specific name so that the viewers know what it's about. Even if what happens in the RPG is pretty generic stuff, it would be better to use a creative name.

The two generically-named RPGs I am talking about are Equestria RPG and Pony RPG (Pony RPG was renamed by its owner Rehydration after this topic was created). Both had names that are not very specific, and could apply to any other MLP-themed RPG. Actually, when Equestria RPG first started it was actually named "MLP:FiM RPG" before I ordered that the author pick a new name. After he picked "Equestria RPG", I still wasn't satisfied with it, but I didn't want to put him through a hassle so I let it slide.

In the future, if anypony ever uses a generic name for their MLP RPG, they will be forced to change it. If they cannot come up with a new name, I will pick it for them.

(Non-MLP RPGs like The Face Adventures can be as generic as they want.)

Now, on to roleplaying tips:

1. Don't powerplay
Do not overpower your character. If your character is defeating all the villains instantly while everypony else just watches, this is a prime example of powerplaying. RPers who powerplay are generally disliked and may be banned from an RPG. Overpowered characters are commonly referred to as "Mary Sues".
Don't make your character extremely weak either. If you keep getting brainwashed, poisoned or wounded, it will slow down the RPG and can be very annoying to other players; possibly pushing them to the point where they'll start powerplaying to heal your character instantly and move on. I did this a lot during some sort of "imaginary roleplay" when I was in elementary school (I don't really know what those games were called; we basically ran around a lot and announced what our characters did. Mouth-produced sound effects were very common.), and everyone else would heal me instantly and say nothing more on the subject of my "injuries".

2. Don't control other people's characters without permission
Even if a user is inactive, you can't control their characters. Don't let the absense of a player slow down your RPG. When a character has not been used by its owner for a while you can pretend they fell asleep, or that they're still following you around except that they're not talking. The only roadblock is that you can't actually SAY they are following you. That's considered controlling them. Once the character's owner comes back they can decide what their character has done ever since they were absent. However, one surefire way to get someone else's character to go somewhere is to have your character physically move them to the desired place.
Of course the entire tedious matter can be avoided if the character's owner says that anypony (or only a specific user) can use their character while they're gone.

3. Roleplay effectively and efficiently
Don't just snoop around in the shadows providing comic relief. While everypony loves a good laugh, you should still give your character a time in the serious spotlight. Heroic feats that don't pass as powerplaying usually give your character the most respect.
Also, please try to use good spelling and grammar while RPing. Never use 1337speak. Your character should be easy to understand; well, unless they're the kind that only speaks one word (Radda radda radda). A good example of an RPG that didn't start out very well is Equestria RPG. It became very awkward and tough to understand after the first few posts.

4. Have fun!
Please, enjoy yourself when playing an RPG. Don't join an RPG you don't like just because "Everyone's doing it". If you don't think you're having fun in an RPG, you can quit anytime by having your character(s) leave, get killed off (If the RPG allows characters to be killed) or be controlled by somepony else.

More tips will be added later if necessary.

"Now wipe your eyes, blow your nose, and smile before we take off." - Paula Polestar, from EarthBound

October 27, 2012 8:56:28 PM

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 October 29, 2012 5:53:53 PM

SplatKirby
Alicorn
Bits: 4
Bank: 2,427,347,901,995

Re: Please be specific when naming an MLP RPG (+ some roleplaying tips)

Mention godmodding. ;)

My browser history and I go way back. B)

#3 October 31, 2012 3:28:13 AM

Sausagefanclub
Retired Supreme Ruler
Bits: 11,000,025
Bank: 6,726,507,490,197
Website

SplatKirby wrote:

Mention godmodding. ;)

I've basically covered that topic already in the first two rules.

I should add the "No Asterisks" rule though. Junior roleplayers are famous for using asterisks to describe their character's actions, referring to their characters in first person instead of third person and using current tense instead of past tense. It's a popular form of RPing in chatrooms, but true forum RPing is much more different and sophisticated.

"Now wipe your eyes, blow your nose, and smile before we take off." - Paula Polestar, from EarthBound

#4 November 4, 2012 2:46:04 PM

LogicalFallacy
Not So Supreme Ruler
Bits: 101
Bank: 610,371,634,227,267

Add how most people try to Mary sue proof themselves by adding 1 weakness to their million strengths.
I get SO annoyed by that. Their once weakness probably dosen't even make sense and they never mention it again and they're like "lulz I have a weakness so hes not a mary sue SEEEE"
god.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2hd1es6.png

#5 November 26, 2012 8:10:55 PM

SplatKirby
Alicorn

Nintendoandfriends wrote:

Add how most people try to Mary sue proof themselves by adding 1 weakness to their million strengths.
I get SO annoyed by that. Their once weakness probably dosen't even make sense and they never mention it again and they're like "lulz I have a weakness so hes not a mary sue SEEEE"
god.

:lol: People actually do that? :lol:

#6 December 31, 2012 4:53:59 AM

Phoenix Flare
Fire Horse
Bits: 7
Bank: 2,147,483,647

SplatKirby wrote:

god.

Yep. Many will attempt to counteract the "Mary Sue" title by giving their character ONE weakness, like "Dies with prolonged exposure to fire", which really doesn't count as a weakness in the frist place.:derp:

18:43 - "You have thirty minutes to move your car."
18:58 - "You have fifteen minutes to move your car."
19:15 - "Your car has been crushed into a cube."
19:20 - "You have thirty minutes to move your cube."
http://i46.tinypic.com/2it3hu0.png

#7 December 31, 2012 4:00:31 PM

jukyter
Earth Pony
Bits: 2
Bank: 21,815,676,767

"Is there a particular reason this image doesn't work?"
yes
it doesn't exist

are we smoke without the fire

#8 December 31, 2012 4:05:22 PM

Sparkle Nose
Banned
Bits: 33
Bank: 250,591,176

are we allowed to make non pony rpgs?

This signature was far too big. It has now been consumed by the darkness.

#9 December 31, 2012 10:54:59 PM

Axel
Retired Royal Guard
Bits: 66,571,993,454
Bank: 333,260,465,059
Website

Sure! See Luna's "Face Adventures".

"A regular Friday audience, 90 percent feminine and 100 percent well-bred, sat stoically yesterday through thirty minutes of the most cacophonous world premiere ever heard here - the first performance anywhere of a new Violin Concerto by Arnold Schoenberg. Yesterday's piece combines the best sound effects of a hen yard at feeding time, a brisk morning in Chinatown and practice hour at a busy music conservatory. The effect on the vast majority of hearers is that of a lecture on the fourth dimension delivered in Chinese." -An anonymous Philadelphia Record reviewer, on Schoenberg's Op. 36 Violin Concerto.

"I am delighted to add another unplayable work to the repertoire." -Arnold Schoenberg, on his Op. 36 Violin Concerto.

#10 December 31, 2012 11:16:57 PM

Sparkle Nose
Banned
Bits: 33
Bank: 250,591,176

i won't make any but it'd good to know i can

This signature was far too big. It has now been consumed by the darkness.

#11 January 1, 2013 10:08:13 PM

SplatKirby
Alicorn

Deep Thought wrote:

SplatKirby wrote:

god.

Yep. Many will attempt to counteract the "Mary Sue" title by giving their character ONE weakness, like "Dies with prolonged exposure to fire", which really doesn't count as a weakness in the frist place.:derp:

Why anyone would prolong exposure to fire is beyond me.

• Index
  •  » Roleplays
  •  » Please be specific when naming an MLP RPG (+ some roleplaying tips)

Adverts

Board footer