The Sausage MLP Forums

The biggest, friendliest brony community on PunBB-Hosting!

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Unfortunately, the forums are officially closed to new registrations. We have no idea if there are any plans to change this, as it's been inactive for well over a year anyhow.

Adverts

Adverts

• Index
  •  » Scratch
  •  » Yoohou - Final Feline: A challenging danmaku

#1 January 27, 2014 10:18:36 PM

Sausagefanclub
Retired Supreme Ruler
Bits: 11,000,025
Bank: 6,726,507,490,197
Website

Yoohou - Final Feline: A challenging danmaku

Yup, I made a danmaku in Scratch thanks to the cloning feature! I was going to upload this to the Scratch website but it didn't work. I'll try again later. So in the meantime you guys get to see it first. ;)

You are a black, round ball named Yoo. A giant floating cat head is attacking you, and you must defend yourself. But be warned; It will not be easy! There are four phases you must defeat, and you can only take 10 hits (No healing, same HP throughout the whole game) before you're toast.

The controls:
Hold Z - Shoot
Hold X - Strafe (Very important)
Press A - Toggle Autofire (If you're tired of holding the Z key)
Hold S - Slow movement

The battles:

Phase 1: Cat
A mindless flying cat head. Certainly the easiest phase.
HP: 1000
Attack 1: Falls to the ground, causing spikes to drop down. Stay near the bottom of the screen so you have enough reaction time to dodge them.
Attack 2: Moves up or down until it's lined up with you, then charges to the other side of the screen. Fairly easy to dodge, but make sure you're not too close when it charges or else you won't have time to move out of the way.
Attack 3: Fires lasers out of its eyes. One eye fires fast lasers that move straight while the other one shoots slightly slower lasers that cover more space. Only under certain conditions will the slower lasers fire. Just try to squeeze between any gaps you find between the lasers.

Phase 2: Robocat
The cat head, reconstructed. Noticeably tougher than before.
HP: 2000
Attack 1: Fires pairs of lasers out of its eyes. Don't think you can fit between all of them; stay out of its path when it does this.
Attack 2: Fires a storm of bullets out of its eyes. Make sure to find gaps big enough for you to fit through.
Attack 3: Charges, moving quickly around the stage. Always charges in the same pattern, but you'll need to memorize it.
Attack 4: Fires a storm of small, red bullets. They move faster and can be difficult to avoid.

Phase 3: Ghost Cat
Even in death, the cat still wants to kill you. Not too much tougher than the previous phase, but still a force to be reckoned with.
HP: 3000
Attack 1: Fires triangles that sit still for 3 seconds, then slowly move upward. The darker ones come back down after being offscreen for 3 seconds.
Attack 2: Fires several bullets in a circle. Actually pretty easy to dodge; just relax and find a spot where the bullets will not go.
Attack 3: Fires a wave of red bullets. These bullets go across the screen twice. You'll have to see it yourself to know what I mean.

After this, three orbs are summoned. They fight you alongside the boss. If one of them is destroyed they get knocked into the boss, dealing 1000 damage.

Fire Spirit
The most aggressive one. Constantly pursues you.
Attack 1: Charges toward your current position.

Acid Spirit
The one you need to watch out for.
Attack 1: Moves along the outermost edge of the screen, or a smaller rectangle pattern near the middle. Keep an eye on its position so you know where it will go next.

Dark Spirit
A constant hazard.
Attack 1: Moves around the screen spraying small bullets everywhere. The bullets vanish a little before they reach the edge of the screen, making it a great spot to keep out of their way.

Phase 4: Final Feline
The cat's soul has possessed the sun in a last-ditch attempt to destroy you. Much much tougher than the previous phases, thanks to its friends helping out.
HP: 5000
Attack 1: Moves a bit in your direction.
Attack 2 (Only if Fire Spirit has been defeated): Charges toward your current position. The cat's ears can hurt you, making it tougher to dodge if it is going upward. Charges faster if all spirits have been defeated.
Attack 3 (Only if Acid Spirit has been defeated): Moves in a spiral around the screen. There is one spot that is safer than the others. Moves much faster if all spirits have been defeated.
Attack 4 (Only if Dark Spirit has been defeated): Fires a round of bullets in a circle. Fires several more bullets if all spirits have been defeated, though there are some spots where bullets will never go.

As of the time this post has been made, I have only beaten the game twice so far without cheating. First forumer to post a Youtube video of them beating the game legitimately gets awarded the title "Danmaster"!

Play the game here: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/17355602/
If you want to download the slightly older version go here: https://www.mediafire.com/?neu93aed5v3k521 (This file will be taken down eventually)

Warning: Playing on a slow computer is not recommended. If the game lags it will affect the gameplay by altering the timing, making it more difficult and maybe even impossible.

"Now wipe your eyes, blow your nose, and smile before we take off." - Paula Polestar, from EarthBound

January 27, 2014 10:18:36 PM

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 January 27, 2014 10:59:39 PM

MightyGarchomp
Alicorn
Bits: 2
Bank: 15,276,587,235
Re: Yoohou - Final Feline: A challenging danmaku

I'm trying it as of now.
EDIT: Sorry. It lags a ton whenever the cat gets hit by my bullets, so I can't play this one.

Last edited by CountBleck479 (January 27, 2014 11:00:50 PM)

http://33.media.tumblr.com/07580601b35260b0f226c8aa642f7e70/tumblr_n2q80byAO71tv5bxro2_500.gif

#3 January 27, 2014 11:04:24 PM

Sausagefanclub
Retired Supreme Ruler
Website

CountBleck479 wrote:

I'm trying it as of now.
EDIT: Sorry. It lags a ton whenever the cat gets hit by my bullets, so I can't play this one.

Darn. Well, thanks for trying. Maybe another day you can try it on a faster computer.
Usually it plays pretty well if I restart my computer before playing.

"Now wipe your eyes, blow your nose, and smile before we take off." - Paula Polestar, from EarthBound

#4 January 27, 2014 11:06:39 PM

MightyGarchomp
Alicorn

I could try in a moment.
What I don't like is that there's no way to download Scratch.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/07580601b35260b0f226c8aa642f7e70/tumblr_n2q80byAO71tv5bxro2_500.gif

#5 January 27, 2014 11:12:33 PM

Sausagefanclub
Retired Supreme Ruler
Website

CountBleck479 wrote:

I could try in a moment.
What I don't like is that there's no way to download Scratch.

There's a page here: http://scratch.mit.edu/scratch2download/
It's kind of hard to find, but it exists.

#6 January 28, 2014 1:43:10 AM

MightyGarchomp
Alicorn

OK, this'll help. Maybe I can get back to making Scratch projects now.

#7 January 28, 2014 2:03:28 AM

MightyGarchomp
Alicorn

Tried it.
It's okay.
But the number 1 complaint I have: The hitbox.
The character has a ridiculously large hitbox. The #1 rule of Danmakus: SMALL HITBOXES.
My suggestion is to take a sprite that's the size of the hitbox, set its location to the character's location all the time, set its ghost effect to 100, and make it so it counts as damage whenever the hitbox is hit.

#8 January 28, 2014 5:14:59 AM

Sausagefanclub
Retired Supreme Ruler
Website

CountBleck479 wrote:

Tried it.
It's okay.
The character has a ridiculously large hitbox. The #1 rule of Danmakus: SMALL HITBOXES.
My suggestion is to take a sprite that's the size of the hitbox, set its location to the character's location all the time, set its ghost effect to 100, and make it so it counts as damage whenever the hitbox is hit.

Actually the large hitbox was done completely on purpose as a subversion. It's not like normal danmakus anyway.

#9 January 28, 2014 5:22:01 PM

MightyGarchomp
Alicorn

Sausagefanclub wrote:

CountBleck479 wrote:

Tried it.
It's okay.

Actually the large hitbox was done completely on purpose as a subversion. It's not like normal danmakus anyway.

The hitbox is the reason I can't even get past the second boss. It has a ton of health, and it constantly attacks with a crazy bullet spread that can be impossible to dodge most of the time. (I am not kidding. LITERALLY impossible without cheats.)
Oh, and there's no pause button.
WHY ISN'T THERE A PAUSE BUTTON?!
Now, I'm not trying to be mean. This is just my honest opinion on the game.
Here's an addition I'd suggest: Upgrades. Actually, powerups is a better term.
Here are a few ideas for powerups:
Shield - Blocks you from 1 shot.
Missiles - You fire out a missile every second along with your regular shots. This lasts for... 10 seconds, let's say.
Energy Field - You are surrounded by a small energy field. Whenever the boss comes in contact with it, it deals damage.
This'll make the game a little less tedious.

Last edited by CountBleck479 (January 28, 2014 6:36:19 PM)

#10 January 28, 2014 7:58:46 PM

Sausagefanclub
Retired Supreme Ruler
Website

CountBleck479 wrote:

Sausagefanclub wrote:

CountBleck479 wrote:

Tried it.
It's okay.

The hitbox is the reason I can't even get past the second boss. It has a ton of health, and it constantly attacks with a crazy bullet spread that can be impossible to dodge most of the time. (I am not kidding. LITERALLY impossible without cheats.)
Missiles - You fire out a missile every second along with your regular shots. This lasts for... 10 seconds, let's say.
Energy Field - You are surrounded by a small energy field. Whenever the boss comes in contact with it, it deals damage.

The pause button would be ridiculously hard to add in Scratch. Just trust me on this one. I'd love to have it too but I'd have to edit way too many scripts to put it in.
As for the powerups, I might think about it but if I do put them in I'll make an "easy" mode.

And yes the game is beatable without cheats. I refused to program the ending in until I was able to beat the game myself. I'll make a low-quality video of me beating it sometime if I get a chance.

#11 January 28, 2014 8:16:00 PM

MightyGarchomp
Alicorn

Sausagefanclub wrote:

CountBleck479 wrote:

Sausagefanclub wrote:

The pause button would be ridiculously hard to add in Scratch. Just trust me on this one. I'd love to have it too but I'd have to edit way too many scripts to put it in.
As for the powerups, I might think about it but if I do put them in I'll make an "easy" mode.

And yes the game is beatable without cheats. I refused to program the ending in until I was able to beat the game myself. I'll make a low-quality video of me beating it sometime if I get a chance.

Effort. Things take effort. NaF taught me that.
I know it's beatable without cheats. I did it. But it took me a little less than an hour because of the ridiculous health the final boss has.

#12 January 28, 2014 10:08:51 PM

Sausagefanclub
Retired Supreme Ruler
Website

CountBleck479 wrote:

Sausagefanclub wrote:

CountBleck479 wrote:

Effort. Things take effort. NaF taught me that.
I know it's beatable without cheats. I did it. But it took me a little less than an hour because of the ridiculous health the final boss has.

If you want me to believe that you beat it though, you'll have to provide a video. You've lied to me before so you don't have much credibility.
Here's a video of me beating the first three phases. I wanted to beat the final phase in the video too but I ran out of time so I cut it short. Take note that the system I used has low quality and no sound. School blocked tinypic so you'll have to download it. :/
https://www.mediafire.com/?iw7hhia34x2sbuc

#13 January 28, 2014 11:37:33 PM

Phoenix Flare
Fire Horse
Bits: 7
Bank: 2,147,483,647

Just got your PM. I was meaning to try this, but I need to be on my laptop, not my school computer. And really, I just got Spore working on my computer again, and all kinds of stuff, so it may be a while before I try this. Also, if possible, make it to where when you hold down S (or some other key), it slows down movement maybe? It's a very helpful feature in a lot of danmaku games.

18:43 - "You have thirty minutes to move your car."
18:58 - "You have fifteen minutes to move your car."
19:15 - "Your car has been crushed into a cube."
19:20 - "You have thirty minutes to move your cube."
http://i46.tinypic.com/2it3hu0.png

#14 January 28, 2014 11:39:50 PM

Sausagefanclub
Retired Supreme Ruler
Website

Oh, right... forgot to add a "slow" key. Well it's a bit late for that now. :/
I'm used to the controls so it's not as big of a problem for me.

#15 February 27, 2014 7:15:57 AM

Sausagefanclub
Retired Supreme Ruler
Website

Aha! I have done it! The game is complete and can now be played online! http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/17355602/

I have made some changes, though. It's a little different from the version on mediafire, which I'll be taking down someday. Here is what I've modified:
- You now move faster when you're not shooting.
- I listened to otnay's advice, and you can now hold the S key to slow yourself down.
- You glow blue when using auto-fire. You still glow red when shooting normally.
- It's easier to see when the bosses in the final phase are about to attack now.
- The final boss theme was shortened so that it takes less time to loop. This was necessary in order to make sure the file size was small enough to upload.

I'll update the first post of the topic later.

#16 February 27, 2014 4:45:19 PM

Phoenix Flare
Fire Horse
Bits: 7
Bank: 2,147,483,647

Oddly enough, this game nearly broke my computer. And it runs Touhou with no lag whatsoever. :?

18:43 - "You have thirty minutes to move your car."
18:58 - "You have fifteen minutes to move your car."
19:15 - "Your car has been crushed into a cube."
19:20 - "You have thirty minutes to move your cube."
http://i46.tinypic.com/2it3hu0.png

#17 February 27, 2014 6:09:37 PM

Sausagefanclub
Retired Supreme Ruler
Website

otnayupidstay wrote:

Oddly enough, this game nearly broke my computer. And it runs Touhou with no lag whatsoever. :?

Some computers run it better than others. I've tried playing this game on my personal laptop which is supposed to be better than my school laptop, and it lags immensely. The biggest contributor to the lag is the script that makes bosses flash when they take damage.

I'm hoping to create three alternate versions of the game sometime. One version will be easier (I'll either increase the player's maximum hitpoints, add powerups or make the bosses easier), one version will be harder (The bosses will move faster, and will have minimal pauses between attacks) and one version will have some effects removed to prevent as much lag as possible.

If you had a choice, which version (Easy Mode, Insanity Mode or Lite Edition) would you like to see first? One of them will be uploaded to my SausagefanclubExtra account, and the other ones will be available for download from Mediafire. Ironically, Insanity Mode will probably be the easiest one for me to make since I just need to change some of the timing and Easy Mode will be the hardest for me because I'd actually need to make some notable modifications to the code and possibly create new sprites.

#18 February 28, 2014 3:12:57 AM

LogicalFallacy
Not So Supreme Ruler
Bits: 101
Bank: 610,371,634,227,267

I had just BARELY managed to beat the robot cat boss with 1 hit point left. I happened to be standing where the boss spawns, so it killed me on contact.
Dang it.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2hd1es6.png

#19 February 28, 2014 4:16:55 AM

Sausagefanclub
Retired Supreme Ruler
Website

Nintendoandfriends wrote:

I had just BARELY managed to beat the robot cat boss with 1 hit point left. I happened to be standing where the boss spawns, so it killed me on contact.
Dang it.

Yeah, I'm a little cruel for doing things like that. :derpy:

But losing only makes you stronger the next time. Now you know where the third phase spawns, and you'll be able to avoid it next time. I failed many times before I became an expert at my own game. In my best run so far, I've beaten it with 7 HP left. Someday I hope to beat it without getting hit once.

Remember though, if you want to get the Danmaster title you'll need to record a full video of your playthrough if you ever manage to beat the game. I can't make special exceptions.

#20 February 28, 2014 4:32:01 AM

LogicalFallacy
Not So Supreme Ruler

Sausagefanclub wrote:

Dang it.

But losing only makes you stronger the next time. Now you know where the third phase spawns, and you'll be able to avoid it next time. I failed many times before I became an expert at my own game. In my best run so far, I've beaten it with 7 HP left. Someday I hope to beat it without getting hit once.

Remember though, if you want to get the Danmaster title you'll need to record a full video of your playthrough if you ever manage to beat the game. I can't make special exceptions.

Do you know any good video recording software? My friend uses the free version of bandicam, which seems pretty good---it lets you record a certain program open instead of the whole screen, which seems convenient, but you can only upload 9 minute videos, so I'd have to do it in parts. :P

#21 February 28, 2014 4:58:11 AM

Sausagefanclub
Retired Supreme Ruler
Website

Sausagefanclub wrote:

Dang it.

Do you know any good video recording software? My friend uses the free version of bandicam, which seems pretty good---it lets you record a certain program open instead of the whole screen, which seems convenient, but you can only upload 9 minute videos, so I'd have to do it in parts. :P

My school laptop already has something called "SMART Recorder" that can record screens. Quality's kind of poor but it works. I don't know if it's free though.

#22 February 28, 2014 9:50:09 PM

LogicalFallacy
Not So Supreme Ruler

Sadly, due to the game lagging in fullscreen whenever the boss flashes,  I will have to record it not in fullscreen, which I can imagine it being rather hard to see.
It still lags, but not NEARLY as much.

#23 February 28, 2014 11:23:10 PM

LogicalFallacy
Not So Supreme Ruler

Sorry to double post, as of today I have defeated the ghost cat.
Sure I lost to the final boss, but this is a gigantic improvement.
Though, considering how much space all 4 of them take on the screen together, combined with how LONG it takes to beat ghost cat and the fact I haven't mastered ghost cat, it'll either take me a super long time or never to beat the final boss.
Also, when I saw Final Feline, it reminded me of the final boss of Kirby and the Amazing Mirror. :P

#24 March 1, 2014 6:14:21 AM

Sausagefanclub
Retired Supreme Ruler
Website

Like I said, the final phase has a heavy difficulty spike. This is the part that you'll be spending days (or weeks) trying to beat. Just make sure you're recording if you think you're close to winning next time. It would be a real shame if you beat it once, but didn't record it and found yourself unable to do it again. :derp:

#25 March 3, 2014 12:42:36 PM

MightyGarchomp
Alicorn

O_O You were not kidding about that difficulty spike.
Eh, whatever. Try and try again. With my new laptop HyperCam 2 should be able to record this.

• Index
  •  » Scratch
  •  » Yoohou - Final Feline: A challenging danmaku

Adverts

Board footer